Interesting Facts about Salt
Salt has many other functions than just regulating the water content of the body. Here are some of the more vital functions of salt in the body:
1) Salt is important for water balance regulation and for fluid distribution on either side of the cell walls.
2) Salt is effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure - in conjunction with water. Naturally, the proportions are critical.
3) Salt is vital to the extraction of excess acidity from the cells in the body, particularly the brain cells. Acidity–alkalinity is balanced constantly by the kidneys.
4) Salt is vital for balancing the sugar levels in the blood, a needed element in diabetics.
5) Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in the body. It is used for local power generation at the sites of energy needed by the cells.
6) Salt is vital to nerve stimulation, brain function, and for the communication of nerve cells.
7) Salt is vital for absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract. (Salt stimulates production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach).
8) Salt is vital for the clearing the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma and cystic fibrosis.
9) Salt is a strong natural antihistamine (substances that neutralize or inhibit the effect of histamine, which is produced by the body in reaction to toxins or allergy producing substances. Histamine causes dilation of blood vessels, an increased ability of blood vessels to absorb, and it lowers blood pressure).
10) Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones firm. Osteoporosis, in a major way, is a result of salt and water shortage in the body.
11) Salt is vital for sleep regulation. It is a natural hypnotic.
12) Salt is vital for the prevention of gout (painful inflammation of the joints) and gouty arthritis.
13) Twenty-seven percent of the body's salt is in the bones. Osteoporosis results when the body needs more salt and takes it from the body. Bones are made up of 22% water.